As worlds collide, I stood back today and walked my mentor teacher teach her lesson. I started thinking about this year and all of the things that have happened over the last year.
But most of all, I stared at my students and wondered what was going on in the world outside of our classroom. I know some of these students have lives that are more difficult than others, I know I have students that struggle with what life is really supposed to be. Whether it be with parents who aren't around, or lack of money within the home, or things way worse than that I want to think about, my student struggle on a day-to-day basis.
However as I read articles regarding parent involvement I sometimes wonder if this is something that is successful in all school districts. And what happens to students whose parents want nothing to do with getting involved in their school life or Worse parents who think that their student is wasting time going to school. What happens with students whose parents are pushing them in a negative Direction or what happens when they leave my classroom and are being told things way different than what I believe. I feel like a lot of my students struggle with the identity that their parents have forced upon them. Involving parents in the community article makes it seem like all parents want to be involved. However I've experienced many times in my five years working for the district, I know that this is not true for all of my students.
Within the article I believe it is important to remember that we are all different, and that some parents are not going to feel as welcome as other parents are. It will be a small steps that get you through those relationships with parents that are different than yourself.
This week even though it is only Tuesday I feel has been the longest week. Struggling with students who want nothing to do with getting their education, and definitely wanting nothing to do with me. I struggle with students who want nothing to do with turning in their school work, reading any book even if they get to pick it, or even answering simple questions because "it is stupid to them". How do you explain to students that this piece of paper that they are working for can change their world dramatically. How can you explain to students whose parents are telling them the only reason they're in school is because the state forces them to put them in school. I know these are struggles that teachers face everyday especially in a school district full of poverty. But for the first time in 5 years I feel like I'm losing the battle. And worse I feel like I'm losing a battle to the people that are supposed to be helping guide my students through High school: their parents
Although I think it is extremely helpful to have parents that are involved with in the classroom, I think it is also important to realize that students are going to have to make choices on their own. Once students understand that these choices are for their own good then and only then are we going to be able to push them in the direction that they need to go.
Dealing with students of different ethnicities, and parents that do not speak English is also something that teachers deal with in this District every day. I want to know if there is a legitimate way to get parents involved in the secondary education level. The article involving parent involvement seems to be directed to students at the elementary and middle school level. But at a high school level if parents have not been involved for the last 10 years of their child's education, what makes people think that they want to get involved when that child is 15 years old. I do feel that parents should be involved in their children's education but at what point are we beating something into people that doesn't necessarily need to be. I believe starting this program at a younger age and watching parents develop and grow into active members of their child's education is something that would be very successful in this day and age. However what do we do with students whose parents want nothing to do with their child's education?
even though it's been a rough week I start tomorrow with my head held high knowing that I can help. Thinking of ways to get parents involved with their students education is going to be the first thing on my list. Followed next fight everything else going on. If you have any advice I would love to hear it!
Samway, Katherine Davies and Denise McKeon. Myths and Realities: Best Practices for English Language Learners. 2nd Ed. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, 2007.
That's all for now
Ms Perret
You raise a lot of good questions, Chani, and I definitely understand your frustration. How do you help people who seem to oppose themselves?
ReplyDeleteI think we have to keep trying to understand their perspectives and the difficulties they may have faced and still be dealing with in their lives. You seem to have a good understanding of this. It is hard to remain non-judgmental when you see the same mistakes being made over and over again like teachers do. "Fortunately" for me, I seem to get frequent humbling reminders just when I start to become critical. It's embarrassing, but it's good for me. Ha! I think it bothers us so much because we really do care. The cynical jokes and comments teachers sometimes make are an attempt to keep the sadness despair from taking over, but they can harden us and hurt our ability to reach students.
I have some ideas about how to get parents involved, but it seems that it may be as much work convincing administrators and other teachers as it will be convincing the parents themselves. I really do believe most parents care about their children's success and want to do what they can to help. One big problem is that they may have become so disenfranchised by the school system that they no longer see school as a place they can help or even something that will help their children. I think we have seen a rise in the number of parents who think teachers and administrators are out to get their kids, and we need to ask ourselves why this is. I don't think it is only the parents' fault. Having seen both the parent and the teacher side of things and also having had the opportunity to observe as an almost disinterested third party during my time as a para, I have noticed that both sides have the same or similar goals but both quickly become very defensive. There's a lot of blaming or preparing to defend against blame that gets in the way of true communication and shared progress.
We have recently seen on a national scale the kind of chaos and insanity that ensues when various groups feel disenfranchised and ignored. I believe we are seeing the same thing within our schools, only it is not recognized as such. As educators we need to work to make parents feel safe, welcome, respected, and involved in their children's schools. It won't be easy, but we have to begin now if we want to change the direction the culture has been heading and avoid our nation becoming more of an Idiocracy.
Chani, I truly enjoyed the many questions you posed pertaining parent involvement and some of the possible reasons why many parents do not participate in school activities. There are many factors that contribute to lack of parent involvement especially pertaining to ELL students. It will be up to us to work to make sure we are building positive relationships with parents from all cultural backgrounds. The job of being a teacher doesn't stop at making lesson plans. It forces us to make connections with our students and their parents to foster a relationship that is beneficial to overall growth of student knowledge. Your post shed light on the fact that students have other things going on outside of school that may affect their education.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
Chani, I agree that it is hard to get students involved in school work when their parents are not inspiring them to do well. Especially at the high school level it can be harder because the parents do not think they have much say anymore. My advice and what I think I will implement when I start my own teaching is to include in the syallbus that parent teacher communication will be live in your classroom and that your goal is to have parents be involved in their student English class. Even if it is just in just this one class I feel like maybe those parents will be happy to be a part of it! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete