Thursday, December 15, 2016

Superhero (Genre Reflection #2)

Superhero

To find a balance:
School: studying, reading, tests, projects--
Home: work, family, friends, holidays
When did I become a superhero?
“Just read these 30 pages, that’s all for next class”
30 pages times five classes- that’s all.
a paper, a cough:
Where are my super human powers?

“Will you do this” “Can you do this”
“Ms. Help me!”
Demands of a classroom, not yet your own.
Just call me Super teacher!

24 hours a day- just not enough.
All nighters—coffee, energy drinks.
Just to get through the day.
I don’t think my super power is supposed to be falling asleep in class.

Crap—flat tire, a test in just an hour
I should have just stayed in bed.
Ice cold hands, fighting back tears
Superheroes don’t cry. Get it together

Yup, might as well have not even taken that test
What makes me think I could change the world?
I cannot even find my pencil.
Superheroes save the world.

Come finals week:
You’ve survived.
Test- done, Projects- completed
Feeling on top of the world! Ready to fly

Just one more semester
Until a classroom all your own.
Time to change the World
You’ve survived what most could not.
Being a superhero isn’t easy
But every smile, every ah ha moment
Makes up for every all nighter, for all the missed events
Being a superhero is hard but becoming a teacher is harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment