Looking into the sea of lost faces
“I can’t”
“It’s SO boring”
“Why do we HAVE to read this”
The voices, whined and cried.
As we continue to read
A story about a lost boy:
Chris McCandless.
That once lost,
Found himself.
I ask them questions
“How?” “What?” “Why?”.
Nothing changed.
Lost, blank stares
Looking back at me.
But in just one instant, everything changed:
One hand nervously goes up,
In the far back of the room.
A quiet whisper,
“so sad”.
“To feel so lost,
And to be so alone”.
Wise words:
From such a shy soul.
Others stare, unsure of what’s going on.
“How do his PARENTS,
Who are supposed to be,
The ones to protect him!”
The words: large and loud.
Fear hidden beneath.
Head goes down,
Eyes close.
“How do they make him feel so
Terrible about who he is?
Rattles out of such a small body.
All eyes look to their desk
The once sweet, soft voice
Brings harsh, hateful words.
“Shitty parents. That’s all they are!”
Cried out.
I look back,
A tear falls down.
Everyone stares at this stranger no one knows.
“Is that how everyone feels?” I ask
Once eyes of darkness, now eyes of light.
Hands go up. Voices loud:
Whispers and answers,
“No!”
“EXACTLY!”
“Yes. Maybe. No.”
The voice once shy and quiet,
Goes back into the body without a sound.
The eyes, back into the book,
Refusing to look around.
Do they know, the change they just made?
“I can’t”
“It’s SO boring”
“Why do we HAVE to read this”
The voices, whined and cried.
As we continue to read
A story about a lost boy:
Chris McCandless.
That once lost,
Found himself.
I ask them questions
“How?” “What?” “Why?”.
Nothing changed.
Lost, blank stares
Looking back at me.
But in just one instant, everything changed:
One hand nervously goes up,
In the far back of the room.
A quiet whisper,
“so sad”.
“To feel so lost,
And to be so alone”.
Wise words:
From such a shy soul.
Others stare, unsure of what’s going on.
“How do his PARENTS,
Who are supposed to be,
The ones to protect him!”
The words: large and loud.
Fear hidden beneath.
Head goes down,
Eyes close.
“How do they make him feel so
Terrible about who he is?
Rattles out of such a small body.
All eyes look to their desk
The once sweet, soft voice
Brings harsh, hateful words.
“Shitty parents. That’s all they are!”
Cried out.
I look back,
A tear falls down.
Everyone stares at this stranger no one knows.
“Is that how everyone feels?” I ask
Once eyes of darkness, now eyes of light.
Hands go up. Voices loud:
Whispers and answers,
“No!”
“EXACTLY!”
“Yes. Maybe. No.”
The voice once shy and quiet,
Goes back into the body without a sound.
The eyes, back into the book,
Refusing to look around.
Do they know, the change they just made?
Fellow classmates who
Just “couldn’t” read this
“Boring” book:
Jump straight back into the novel,
Searching for the answers.
One day that will change their lives,
Just as Chris McCandless’ life changed,
Forever. In just one moment.
Will they ever remember that fearful voice?
The one who changed their very perspective on “boring” material.
To you, Quiet. Shy. Soul.
I, Thank you.
For making my teaching life easier
For making a difference in your classmate’s lives
For having the courage, others did not.
Just “couldn’t” read this
“Boring” book:
Jump straight back into the novel,
Searching for the answers.
One day that will change their lives,
Just as Chris McCandless’ life changed,
Forever. In just one moment.
Will they ever remember that fearful voice?
The one who changed their very perspective on “boring” material.
To you, Quiet. Shy. Soul.
I, Thank you.
For making my teaching life easier
For making a difference in your classmate’s lives
For having the courage, others did not.
Chris McCandless would be proud
Because you also changed the world.
Because you also changed the world.
Thank you for sharing this, Chani! This was a very moving poem. I read Into the Wild a few years ago after watching the movie. The book, as always, is so much better. It made such a huge impression on me. I really identified with Chris McCandless and understood many of the choices he made and the journey he was on. I'm grateful my mentor teacher plans to read the book with her juniors this year. I hope we will have some good conversations about it. It saddens me to see students so apathetic, disconnected, and feeling hopeless. I want to shake them and wake them up to all that lives can be. I want them to know that they make a difference and that they can choose to make an even greater impact. Most of all, I want to send them forward on their quest to find their true and best selves encouraged, knowing they can achieve their goals through hard work and perseverance without dying on the damned bus.
ReplyDeleteThis genre reflection is so creative and beautifully written! The way you were able to reflect in the form of a poem is pretty cool! Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope you continue to have more awesome--eye opening moments with your students!
ReplyDeleteOh wow, Chani! You are a very gifted poet! I read "Into the Wild" my Junior year of high school and can relate to how these kids may have felt at the beginning. It wasn't something I would have picked up and started reading on my own. I just figured it was some "based on a true story" novel that would leave me bored and ready to resume my go-to genres of independent reading, but I remember how after the first few chapters, I really began to get into it.
ReplyDeleteI like how well you conveyed what you were seeing and hearing from the typically quiet, and in this case, courageous student. I felt deeply moved by his actions and dialogue. Especially the comment about Chris McCandless' parents- I honestly was not expecting that, but I feel that is what made it so impacting, so real. Thank you for sharing this with us- you really ought to think about publishing this to Poetry 180 and see what happens. It's a very good piece.
Thank you, Chani
-Chaniece Johnson